When animals eat things they shouldn't -
Animals are curious by nature. Young animals just like young humans are especially curious. Eating things that are not meant to be eaten is especially common in young animals, but it can occur in animals of any age. This can lead to some problems that range from annoying to life threatening.
Animals can ingest just about anything. In 20 + years in the veterinary and sheltering business I have seen some items ingested that are just mind boggling. I have seen a Standard Poodle eat and entire t-shirt. I cat that had eaten $1.32 in change. An English Bull dog eat 3 sewing machine needles. That is to name just a few.
Ingestion can also occur when the pet it playing with a toy that he or she is has been given. Frequently, while playing and chewing on toy items, the animal may unintentionally ingest some or all of the material. Foreign objects can perforate, irritate, or block a portion of your animal's digestive tract. If the foreign object gets stuck in the stomach or beginning of the small intestine, intermittent vomiting is the most consistent clinical sign. If the object gets stuck lower down in the digestive tract, signs aren’t as consistent and may include vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite or generalized poor condition.
If you suspect that your pet may have ingested something that may not pass through his intestinal tract, contact your veterinarian. Waiting until your pet starts to vomit will make removal of the foreign material more difficult and costly.
Foreign bodies need to be removed. Your veterinarian will locate the object through a
physical examination, X rays, or an ultrasound examination surgery is usually necessary
unless the foreign object can be retrieved with forceps or the veterinarian feels it can pass on its own (only a veterinarian can determine the latter). After an invasive surgery, such as a gastronomy (surgery into the stomach), your pet will be on a restricted diet for a few days until it can tolerate a normal diet.
The best way to prevent your pet from ingesting foreign bodies is to prevent access to objects that could be swallowed. Keep dangerous objects away from your pets and allow them to chew only on toys that cannot be swallowed. Never let them play with string or clothing.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
2518 Cleveland Hwy Ste: 15
Dalton, GA 30721
Phone for Dalton location:
11 Gateway Blvd South
Savannah, GA 31419
This location will remain open for
Phone for Savannah location: